Sunday, December 9, 2007

Published Cartoons: August 9, '07


Another "tribute" cartoon. This time not to a person, but an event. Owen Sound's Homecoming 07 was, if memory serves me correct, our 150th anniversary. I'm happy to say I haven't been here for all 150 years... just some days it feels like that. Anyway the week of activities was fantastic. Especially the music!
Let me just list some of the great, great bands and musicians in or from this area. I risk overlooking some, but all of the following are just awesome: (in no particular order) The Bearcats (one of the best blues bands anywhere, anytime, period!), Tanglefoot (who just won a Canadian folk music award for outstanding vocal group), Bryan Leckie (who is an astonishing songwriter and vocalist), singer Tara Mackenzie (she of the golden celtic voice), guitarist Trevor MacKenzie (Tara's husband who has a voice who is just about as opposite as you can get and who can play one of the meanest guitar's you'll hear around here or anywhere), Backwoods Justice which are so amazing and unique... Think "The Band" combined with the music of Kurt Weill... and that doesn't even do them justice but it's as close as I can get at the moment. Lars Jensen, a grand rocking singer/songwriter/guitarist who just keeps staying good. You might know him better as Larry Jensen... It's the same guy. Then there's Joel Morelli, Adam Reese, Pete Devlin, and Rob Elder, who play a lot of small gigs around town solo or in various combinations. Then there's outstanding saxaphonists Don Buchanan (who's also a great keyboardist), and Steve Kennedy (who used to play with Lighthouse and Motherlode (know of the song "When I Die"? That's Kennedy on the sax.) If you get a chance to see any of the above named acts perform live... take it. I know I'm leaving out some who are also very good, and am probably overlooking someone I should specifically name, but these are some of my favourites. You should also check out, if you haven't already, the Our Sound Music Gallery spot, put together by Bill Henry, on the Owen Sound Sun Times web site.
I'm not getting the rest of this to appear like I want, so I've cut it and will try to post it on the next posting.

No comments: